Ergonomics (the science of fitting workplace conditions and job demands to the capabilities of the working population and is sometimes described as Human Factors Engineering.)
First, some facts:
- Did you know, that on average, 95% of an office workers’ day is spent sitting in front of the computer.
- Musculoskeletal injuries resulting from poor workplace ergonomics account for 34% of all lost workday injuries and illnesses.
- When done right office ergonomics can increase productivity on average by 11%
- Ergonomics in the workplace is crucial for job efficiency and productivity, workplace health,
- reducing the risk of developing repetitive stress injuries, and keeping company morale high.
and some questions:
- What are your core business objectives this year? How about improving workplace productivity?
- How about improving product/customer service quality and service?
Addressing these should be top of your list for this year.
- Reduced costs.
- Improved productivity.
- Improves quality.
- Improves employee engagement.
- A better safety culture. When we’re all safe and producing at a high level, the company
and employees all benefit.
“Sitting is more dangerous than smoking, kills more people than HIV and is more treacherous than parachuting. We are sitting ourselves to death.” (Dr. James Levine, director of the Mayo Clinic-Arizona State University in an interview by The Los Angeles Times)
How the experiences team at Brant Basics can help you address ergonomics in your workplace:
Here at Brant, many visit our Ergonomics Centre in the showroom and test drive chairs, sit/stand options, monitor arms, foot rests, keyboard drawers, lighting and copy holders. We are unique in the area because of our showroom.
Many customers are asking for our advice on how to retrofit their existing desks so they have the option of sitting and standing. We often try to use existing parts of their desks, where possible, and add new height adjustable bases, monitor arms, keyboard drawers.
We offer advice to customers regarding the options available
to make their workspace more ergonomic.
Here is an interesting graphic which speaks to many of the facts we’ve researched from our wonderful supplier Steelcase.
Testimonial: “Yes I love my new adjustable desk. I do not feel so confined to one position. I can move my keyboard anywhere now that I can lower my desk and I can also stand instead of sitting all the time however standing and thinking is proving to be interesting!” – Sharon